Mumble Replacing Ventrilo
[Back to Index]
Thread Options
Sticky:
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

Alright nerds,

I know no one comes here anymore, but folks still live in vent.

Vent will be expiring within the month, and I'll be switching everything over to Mumble.

I've been using Mumble on-and-off for over a year now, and it's pretty fantastic. It has push-to-talk (for those of you that prefer that), but Mumble has a fantastic "voice activated" system, which I use (and I find that when I come back in vent, I forget I have to push to talk because Mumble's voice activated system is so clean).

It also has a nice little chat system for sharing links or whatever (where Ventrilo's chat is pretty inconvenient).

Additionally, Mumble has significantly less voice lag than Ventrilo (something like 500ms difference).

I'm hosting the Mumble server on the DKPSystem.com server (which is hosted in Texas), and I have it configured for a 100 client limit (which is way more than we'll ever need). But for those of you that will be playing Legion (I'm still on the fence, with Overwatch being out), feel free to use it for r-aids.

Ping time are quite good:

Ping to Milwaukee: 35ms
Ping to Boston: 55ms
Ping to San Diego: 32ms
Ping to Vancouver: 55ms

Anyway, to connect, Download Mumble and install.

When opening it, it brings up a server browser, click "Add New" to

Hostname: poopinashoe.com
Port: The default (whatever it is)
No server password

When you connect, It'll say something about the Certificate, just say "Yes" and you're good to go. I have a few channels set up for it already.

--
nice

--
We did it! Evrone use mambley now and no one uses vontarilo

--

[Back to Index]