Nelthilta is the last poster
49 Unique Guild Members
14 Level 100 characters
401 Website/Forum Members
0 Posts in 24 hours
0 Posts in 7 days
84313 Total Posts
Nelthilta is the last poster

The bitching on the LOL forums amazes me...
The bitching on the LOL forums amazes me...
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [LoL]
Secondary: None

1 2 3 4 5 6 >>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can buy champions and runes one of two ways...either by paying for Riot Points and using those to unlock things, or by earning IP in game and using those to unlock champions you want to play, etc.

Yet there are people on the forums bitching because they're going to have to "grind" to be able to play their favorite champion. Am I missing something here or are people complaining about a free game?

--
F'ed in the A.
The stupid thing about that is they are going to play the game, so it's not like it will be a major grind to be able to play their favorite character. I'm sure most people have more than one character that they like to play. The people complaining are probably the same douche bags that leave a game because they can't get "their" champion to play.

--
You can lick uncle lefty

Yeah I'm pretty sure I have the lowest income here and it doesn't bother me. Self entitlement is LOL.

--
I don't like the idea of unlocking characters, but I also think that the whole idea of unlocking playable content in competitive multiplayer games is beyond stupid.

I also understand that LoL is a microtransaction game and this is all implemented to make money. I have no real beef with that, but I'll probably only buy like 5 heroes and never even bother with the other ones. Then I won't ever feel bad for never playing a tank since I won't even have access to one.

If I recall correctly, the heroes you could buy with IP cost around 1400 points. Considering you make 60-100 points per game, it would take a good while to unlock everyone, let alone get a halfway decent rune book.

--
The runebook is the one thing that concerns me. Also, don't forget there will be some IP bonuses for some things and we don't know exactly how that will work yet.

Plus, this is why they're beta testing it. If it's taking way too long for people to get rune books, etc, I'm sure they'll patch it.

I agree about multiplayer unlockables being beyond stupid. If it affects the game. Stuff like new skins could be cool. But unless you're talking about an RPG I don't see any reason to make people who have been playing longer more powerful by default.

--
F'ed in the A.
I like the unlocking of heroes and content. It makes the game fun and gives you something to work toward.

If Smash Brothers had all the characters available from the second you pop the disk in, it's probably a game that'd only last me a few days. Working toward it you find you like other stuff along the way and it feels good once you've unlocked everyone. I fully support this because it makes for a more rewarding gameplay experience.

--
Quote by Lamyra
I like the unlocking of heroes and content. It makes the game fun and gives you something to work toward.

If Smash Brothers had all the characters available from the second you pop the disk in, it's probably a game that'd only last me a few days. Working toward it you find you like other stuff along the way and it feels good once you've unlocked everyone. I fully support this because it makes for a more rewarding gameplay experience.

I feel that unlockables are just an artificial way of adding replay value. I think a good game gets replayed because it's fun, not because you're working towards some goal. Achievements, bonuses, new outfits, etc. are perfectly fine unlockables, but anything that affects actual gameplay, i.e. characters, I can't stand.

Unlocking the characters in Smash Bros. got tedious for me, and downright annoying for the last three that were in the Subspace Emmisary part of the game. I just wanted to bring the game (and my entire fucking Wii since you can't save the data to a SD card, but that's a whole different complaint) over to my friends and play with all of the characters, but we couldn't play with Jigglypuff or Wolf until I found the secret door.

--
Doesn't seem that dumb to be honest, since the game THEORETICALLY is balanced around hero types and not heroes.

Also pretty much what Lamyra said.

--
Quote by Mootastic
Achievements, bonuses, new outfits, etc. are perfectly fine unlockables, but anything that affects actual gameplay, i.e. characters, I can't stand.

Quote by Fries
I agree about multiplayer unlockables being beyond stupid

God, you guys are so Liberal.

"EVERYBODY HAS TO BE EQUAL ALL THE TIME. EVERYBODY GETS A TROPHY - EVEN IF YOU LOSE."

What happened to work ethic and delayed gratification? The characters/runes you want aren't going to be impossible to get. And everyone starts at the same place to move forward and unlock stuff they want. And that's just it... they're even courteous enough to allow you to CHOOSE what you want to unlock, and thus completely allow you to customize and focus on the parts of the game you enjoy. And as previously stated... it's a free game. If you don't like it, the law will be judge you.

--
I actually really agree with you in this thread Lamyra. But I'm sure you'll find some way to point out that I don't really.

--
Quote by Ismael
I actually really agree with you in this thread Lamyra. But I'm sure you'll find some way to point out that I don't really.

That's because Camera hasn't made a post disagreeing with me yet so you can't blindly agree with him.

--
Quote by Lamyra

What happened to work ethic and delayed gratification?

I say whatever happened to winning a game because you're better and not because you've played long enough to have an actual advantage handed to you.

There is no question that someone who is level 30 and has full rune books will have an edge in this game over someone who just started a new account, even if they're better than you. That's kind of stupid.

--
F'ed in the A.
Quote by Fries
I say whatever happened to winning a game because you're better and not because you've played long enough to have an actual advantage handed to you.

You still can win a game because you're better and not because you've played longer. You, personally, don't think that you at level 1 can't beat someone who's WORSE THAN YOU at level 30? I think you can.

The advantage isn't even close to, or vast enough, that skill and team work can't compensate for it. Not to mention... you'll gain that small advantage back once you've gotten just a few games under your belt.

--
Quote by Lamyra
Quote by Ismael

That's because Camera hasn't made a post disagreeing with me yet so you can't blindly agree with him.

Quote by Fries
Quote by Lamyra

There is no question that someone who is level 30 and has full rune books will have an edge in this game over someone who just started a new account, even if they're better than you. That's kind of stupid.

I don't get the problems with the mastery/rune system. You can get 30 very quickly. Nelly has 30 already playing pretty casually over a few weeks. Not a huge deal and it adds diversity

the same person said both of these things, my friends

score another point for Rogue

beta =/= live.

--
Quote by Karrmerx

From that same thread:

" I just think that in LoL in particular, it's so easy to get lvl 30, that it doesn't matter much. Also, the runes/masteries are nowhere near as beneficial as some of those CoD unlocks."

" I'm equally bothered by this trend. There are rumors that the next Command and Conquer will use a leveling system online in some way too. Not every game needs to be an MMO...it's annoying."

Just because I thought that it wasn't a big idea when it only took at most 60 games to get max everything doesn't mean I approved of the system.

Now it's going to take longer to leve and A LOT longer to get runes.

I agree with Lamyra that the Runes aren't a huge deal but they ABSOLUTELY give an advantage if two opponents are on equal footing.

Damn, Rogue must feel like a fool I'm sorry bud.

--
F'ed in the A.
Quote by Fries
Quote by Lamyra

Also, with matchmaking that wont happen.

--
The advantage isn't even close to, or vast enough, that skill and team work can't compensate for it. Not to mention... you'll gain that small advantage back once you've gotten just a few games under your belt.

The level of advantage is irrelevant, it's the fact that the advantage is there in the first place.

-Brett Favre doesn't have to only go 8 yards for a first down simply because he's played so long.
-Tiger Woods doesn't get the occasional "+1 to par" bonus because he's better than everyone else.
-You don't get an extra bishop in chess because you've captured both of your opponents knights.

Doling out advantages in anything competitive just seems plain silly to me.

--
Quote by Fries
Quote by Karrmerx

From that same thread:

" I just think that in LoL in particular, it's so easy to get lvl 30, that it doesn't matter much. Also, the runes/masteries are nowhere near as beneficial as some of those CoD unlocks."

" I'm equally bothered by this trend. There are rumors that the next Command and Conquer will use a leveling system online in some way too. Not every game needs to be an MMO...it's annoying."

Just because I thought that it wasn't a big idea when it only took at most 60 games to get max everything doesn't mean I approved of the system.

Now it's going to take longer to leve and A LOT longer to get runes.

I agree with Lamyra that the Runes aren't a huge deal but they ABSOLUTELY give an advantage if two opponents are on equal footing.

Damn, Rogue must feel like a fool I'm sorry bud.

Unfortunately for you, it is simply idiotic to say that giving a player an advantage in a game like this is OK if it takes a "reasonable amount of time" (per your own personal interpretation of this) for the disadvantaged player to eventually catch up. It's either something you disagree with or something you don't.

Consequently I don't feel like a fool since I am not randomly changing my views on this based on some arbitrary belief that it is OK to have these retarded systems in competitive matchmaking games as long as it only takes 60 games to have a chance at an even match.

The matchmaking system, assuming it somehow works perfectly, would help alleviate SOME of this but wouldn't stop it from being retarded, because it still forces me to be shittier than my friends by default if I play with them and they're level 30 and I am level 1, forcing us to then (assuming this matchmaking system is perfect) play another team with some level 30s and a level 1 and then I just get shit stomped by some 30s. Fun game.

It just doesn't make any sense to not unlock those things from the get go. They aren't going to get any extra money out of this unless people are mentally retarded because why would I somehow decide that, hey, that lame costume wasn't appealing at 5 bucks before but now that I've spent a few months grinding my level I totally want a wizard hat that doesn't do anything.

These systems make sense in MMO's because you're charged monthly fees. It doesn't make sense here. It DEFINITELY doesn't make sense in a single match competitive game. The principal of it bothers me enough that I am perfectly content with enjoying DotA (since I didn't find the LoL gameplay to be significantly different in any way anyways) and avoid this game for now.

It is OK if you enjoy this video game, Ismael. That is the great thing about it, everyone can have their own opinion on what they want to do with their time. It's also OK to have a little debate on different aspects of the games, and it's OK to explain why you dislike something about a new game coming out that is in beta. You don't have to take everything so personally, you aren't the lead designer of League of Legends.

1 2 3 4 5 6 >>>
[Back to Index]