84313 Total Posts
Nelthilta is the last poster

Fix for when Firefox Crashes and your search plugins disappear
Fix for when Firefox Crashes and your search plugins disappear
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Off-topic]
Secondary: None

I don't have a problem so much with Firefox crashing on me, as I do with my computer just up and resetting on me (This old dog is tired). In any case, some times, it resets, and suddenly all my bookmarks are gone and my search plugins dropdown is empty (which is crippling for me).

After the usual charade of reinstalling firefox to get it back to normal, I decided to play around and see what I could do to fix the problem.

Apparently, (At least for my most recent crash), the "localstore.rdf" file got corrupted. Using the Javascript console in Web Developer extension, I got a notification of something like "localstore.rdf file is non-standard" when trying to Add a new Search plugin.

So I decided to delete the file and see if Firefox would recreate it, and to my surprise, it worked, and magically, my search plugins returned.

So, if you crash, and lose your plugins, delete the "localstore.rdf" file in your firefox settings. It's DEEP in the file structure, so be ready to traverse some odd folders, and Hidden folders too.

The file is located at:

C Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxx.yyyyy\localstore.rdf

Example, (on mine, it's):

C Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\clb0u858.default\localstore.rdf
----
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.

--
You're logged in as your administrator account... bad form.
You're logged in as your administrator account... bad form.

Yeah, I know. It's not the best idea.

I don't run as root in linux and unix, but in windows, I stick with Admin. After all, I can't just type "su" and a password and become root in windows.

----
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.

--
I technically do the same thing, but I still create an alternate user account and give it admin privs. That way if I corrupt the account itself, I don't have to reinstall or repair Windows to fix it... which I have managed to do before, thus why I started creating a separate admin account.
Nerds.

----
"This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces, It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us." -Rorschach from Watchmen

--
"Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you."
Carl Sagan, from a marker left by the Mars Pathfinder rover Sojourner.

[Back to Index]