Nelthilta is the last poster

I'm FINALLY crawling out of my hole
I'm FINALLY crawling out of my hole
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Off-topic]
Secondary: None

<<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >>>
Oh yeah, and Rikko, what do you think about all this sweet-ass financial advice you're getting here. Most people pay for this shit.

i'm actually really liking it and reading almost everything except a few posts and considering things.
thanks!

It's mostly just us old people bickering about stupid shit, but there are some gems.

yeah i'll agree with that
but at least its useful information.

--
omg im gay
Yes, I understand your frustration. From our vantage point, our government seems incredibly incompetent with money. And they are. So why don't you invest in another currency? The Yen? The Euro? The Peso? Ohh... that's right. Despite the deplorable incompetency in our government, it is still the most stable in the entire world. I know the winner has some bumps and bruises, but that doesn't mean it's not still a winner. Don't be so pessimistic. That's how politics works, anyway. Over time, things will be worked out. It just isn't going to happen today or tomorrow.
the main gem was my post
the main gem was my post

about giving my money to you?
lawl on a wall.

--
omg im gay
Yes, I understand your frustration. From our vantage point, our government seems incredibly incompetent with money. And they are. So why don't you invest in another currency? The Yen? The Euro? The Peso? Ohh... that's right. Despite the deplorable incompetency in our government, it is still the most stable in the entire world. I know the winner has some bumps and bruises, but that doesn't mean it's not still a winner. Don't be so pessimistic. That's how politics works, anyway. Over time, things will be worked out. It just isn't going to happen today or tomorrow.

The Peso....rofl

I see it more like the Winner just won the 15 meter dash in the special olympics, myself.

The government's incompetency makes me want to break things with my face.

Maybe I am overreacting, but lately, I've been feeling like it's time to run for office and "end the corruption that has crippled it" (I'll be impressed if anyone can identify that quote).

--
Well Congress is made up of nearly 600 people. Do you think they were all crooks that decided to run for a government post? Maybe some. But most probably started out just like you are now, all fired up about making a difference and cleaning things up. And once they get there, for some reason, things just don't work out the way they expected. You get the occasional John McCain that sticks to his guns no matter what, but the vast majority over time wane to the Dark Side.

Are you so sure you can stay legit, and further that you can make a difference?
noooooooooooooo dont poison this thread with politics

--
omg im gay

Chops did it!

Chops did it!

but you dont have to finish it!

--
omg im gay
Are you so sure you can stay legit, and further that you can make a difference?

I believe I can, but unfortunately, I can't get the backing of either major party, which means a libertarian would have to be voted in...an "Atheist" Libertarian, and since being an "Atheist" means I'm immoral in the eyes of those same who think Gays marrying will somehow devalue their marriage, I don't really stand a good chance.

Unless I'm retardedly rich and just flood the market with ads. I need to be rich first, but I think I could AT LEAST MAYBE win some smaller local seat, and at least start making a difference on a local level.

My first proposal would be to change my position from full time to part time, loss of benefits, and drop the pay at LEAST half. As a government employee, you're there to make decisions, not to have a cushy desk-job where your sole priority is getting reelected. Though it'd be hard to imagine everyone being willing to sacrifice their own jobs. I'd do it in a heartbeat if it meant greater efficiency of the government.

--
I'd reply, but Rikko said no.

You know you want to.

--

/pat

--
omg im gay
Oh man, look how badass I am with my black background color.

/I won't be keeping it this way.

--
thats so cool!
chops is cool!

--
omg im gay
thats so cool!
chops is cool!

Gone already, my test worked, woot!

--
haha

--
omg im gay

You pay your tuition in cash

You make 35k a year after taxes

You get 35k a year after taxes

You pay your tuition with loans

You make 35k a year after taxes

You get (35k - what you owe) a year after taxes

What else can you do with your money that would allow you to benefit more from that than an education?

I hope you aren't going to school for business.

while you are in school you defer interest on the loans.

if you invest right with the 10,000 you could borrow from the government at a 4-5% interest rate you could easily make more money than you would owe to the government.

u.s. government bonds, the safest investment out there, pay about 3-5%, savings accounts pay about 3-5% both of those are very low returns on investments.

camera you aren't looking at the opportunity cost of the 10,000 dollars you can borrow.

granted, if you just let the 10,000 you saved from borrowing rot in a checking account and get eaten away by inflation you would be worse off.

but at such a low interest rate and interest deferred till graduation you can have enough money saved from your 10,000 investment compounding to pay off the interest and you will still be ahead in the fact that you locked away 10,000 dollars 4 years ago and you will only start making more money the longer you hold it.

so actually the top equation is right, but the bottom one is wrong.

income(35k) + investment interest - what you owe - taxes

--

I hope you aren't going to school for business.

He isn't... he doesn't have nearly the background or vocabulary, as evidenced by his posts.

The risk factor, by the way, does have a name. It's called a beta coefficient, and it's very common in finance. I found a Wiki on it, but it is geared more towards stocks specifically. Regardless, the same principle can be applied anywhere there is risk involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_coefficient

actually im majoring in economics/finance as a certified financial analyst.

--
while you are in school you defer interest on the loans.

If you have $150k, you're not going to get a deferred interest rate loan.

Yet again, you completely ignored my figures.

With a 4% interest rate loan, you'd still need to be getting a 10.5% interest on your investment to BREAK EVEN, when inflation and Taxes are taken into consideration.

This is verifiable, this isn't some outlandish claim, this is hard figures. Do the math, it's right there, the numbers are clear.

How is this difficult?

--

<<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >>>
[Back to Index]