Nelthilta is the last poster

Left 4 Dead CAL League
Left 4 Dead CAL League
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [L4D]
Secondary: None

<<< 1 2 3 4
It's a new division, it's free, and the people running the division don't get paid.

Oh, I understand. Maybe I wouldn't do a better job running it, but I have the feeling I'd take it very seriously.

Why did the CPL collapse?

What does CEVO cost?

--
Quote by Chops
It's a new division, it's free, and the people running the division don't get paid.

Oh, I understand. Maybe I wouldn't do a better job running it, but I have the feeling I'd take it very seriously.

Why did the CPL collapse?

What does CEVO cost?

About $15 per person per season. They don't have a L4D division yet, they usually wait to see if CAL does decently with one and then does it better.

The CPL probably wasn't bringing in enough money, not really sure. Some company bought it out recently so it might make a comeback, they bought out CAL too so maybe they'll be fixed up also

Friday, 14, November 2008 - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates and Dallas, Texas, USA - The newly formed CPL Holdings Group, LLC announced today that it has acquired the Cyberathlete Amateur League (CAL) in an all cash transaction that divests NewWorld.com, Inc. (former parent of CAL) and its shareholders from any interest in CAL.

The new management of CAL, will seek to increase its worldwide presence, enhance its infrastructure, and create a more interactive and fair environment for online game competitions. Participation in CAL will continue to be free of cost.

Ms. Angela Summers, a spokesperson for the CPL Holdings Group, LLC, said, "We are excited to have completed our first acquisition at the new CPL. We are also evaluating other media and gaming technology properties in Europe and Asia for either acquisition or partnership."

CAL was launched on March 6, 2001, when NewWorld.com, Inc., acquired the Domain of Games online league. Beginning with a single Counter-Strike division and 3,000 members, CAL has since grown to 16 game divisions and 300,000 registered members. Over the last 12 months, CAL has generated 17 million visits and 170 million page impressions.

CAL (www.caleague.com) was the world’s first online league to form periodic structured seasons, complete with pre-season, regular season and playoffs. In addition, CAL was the first online league to introduce integrated team predictions, roster locks, score tickers, draft leagues, and game ID locks.

--
"Some douche bag, pony tail wearing, hippie FUCK..." -Sip

A good rant on the league and it's rules/lack of rules by someone on the forums:

That smoker pull is pretty consistent vs a competent team. Parking the tank at the smoker drop spot = win.

I see the concern.

Also, the AI tank hits cars and objects now. So parking it at the top of NM3 so the ai tank can clip the team with a car should still be illegal. If it was illegal for a player to do it, it should be illegal for a player to set the ai up to do it. All you have to do is park the tank about 10 meters behind the car and they are finished.

These cal rules are stupid. No better than gamebattles, and people actually seem to think that cal > gb.

*Sigh* it's the same thing with a ready up + guaranteed witch and tank spawns.

In all honesty, the cal rules are even more stupid than the GB AND TWL rules. So really? Pretty much everything is legal. The voltron is legal, abusing the NM3 ladder even though it's unfair because of the kit spawns is legal. Closet camping is legal. It's illegal for Infected to clip but Legal for survivors.

Forcing tank spawns when they don't force Molotov spawns. Yeah real fair when a team has 4 molly's and the other team has 9 pipe bombs. This CPL doesn't get anymore unfair. You either HAVE to leave all the CPL random or make ALL the CPL static, there is no fine mix. Especially with kits. If an infected team deals over 800 damage and the team they beat up is limping all in the red and get 175 health bonus, then you run through the map and the other team does 150 damage and we didn't need to burn kits and we get 175..... how does that mean we were equal in skill? How? Please..... elaborate. I really wanna hear the justification of how this is FAIR

It's illegal for survivors to hide where they cannot take damage but it's legal for the infected to attack where the survivors are guaranteed to take over 200 damage. This league is finna be a joke.

We all thought cal was going to be the saving grace yet they have the most imbalanced rule set used currently in the competitive circuit.

Not to mention the ill conceived pointless rules. Rules against sprays, rules involving screenshots, it's just becoming a bitch to get a match going. Nobody has a clue, the rules change everyday. *Sigh*

How about a little thought. I know the problem, the problem is the people who write the rules play on a team. They write the rules how they see fit because of what they see and do and what works for them vs what works for the average team. They are purposely setting it up so the better teams ROLL the worse teams, and then to decide who is the BEST, they flip a coin and leave it to chance. Who gets more kits at the top of the ladder. Ridiculous.

Lets talk about the admins for a second. When some one suggests the rules aren't clear enough we get rude responses telling us read it better. Then I prove the guys point, and then get insulted telling me that I explained it RUDELY and it must be FOREIGN to me to be nice. I just showed point for point, I'm sorry it's foreign to you to be proved wrong, but you also prove it's foreign for you to be polite.

FURTHERMORE, who ever wrote these rules didn't even put ANY thought in it. They don't understand what is "fair." L4D is competition ready, you just need to write a sourcemod plugin for tournament mode. Tournament mode should take the luck element out of the game. Just like disabling critical hits in TF2 for league play. We aren't changing the gameplay, we are just creating an EQUAL challenge. The game play is 1:1 with the retail release, only taking account for SKILLED TEAMS instead of RANDOM NOOBS. Playing a scrim in this game is like playing a pub with coordinated players, everything that should be illegal is legal.

My point is, what is the point?

What is the point in a competition that does NOT pick the best team as champion. What is the point in having a champion because of a lottery drawing? Because that IS what it is as of now. Who ever gets more kits and uses the most controversial tactics is going to be the winner.

/End Rant.

I'll leave with an analogy. Pub vs Cal is akin to Street Ball vs NBA.

Just because things are possible doesn't mean they should be used in a professional competitive circuit. I.E. Pegging some one in the face with a basketball then dunking on them is practically the same as backing to a corner and using the T2Voltron on a tank.

Can be done, but SHOULDN'T.

--
F'ed in the A.
T2Voltron

?

--
"Some douche bag, pony tail wearing, hippie FUCK..." -Sip

Quote by MystaRiven
T2Voltron

?

I'm thinking that means fag castling on the tank, but I'm not sure.

--
Yeah, the two are synonymous. Voltron = stand in a pile on top of each other. It's a good point, in any scenario it takes advantage of cipping and should be made illegal. I mean it's overpowered in most scenarios.

T2 simply means the tier 2 weapons.

--
F'ed in the A.
This seems to be the latest screen shot requirements. Looks like only the team leader has to take them.

Team leaders, or the individual acting as interim team leader in-game, are required to take the following:

-One screenshot of the scoreboard at the end of each map as well as at the conclusion of any overtime maps if applicable; please use the key to show score (default TAB ) and screenshot while it is visible.
-One screenshot of the results of console RCON STATUS (hosting team) at the beginning of the match as taken by the team with RCON access to the server on which the match is held.
-One screenshot of rcon sm plugins list (in console) by the hosting team.

All players participating must be clearly listed in their entirety. (this is done by opening the game console, typing "rcon status" and taking a screenshot of the resulting dialog by typing "jpeg")

If for any reason a player disconnects from the server a STATUS (non hosting team) and an RCON STATUS (hosting team) screenshot must be taken after they reconnect. Failure to provide said screenshots when requested may result in a match overturn, and/or suspension of offending player(s)

--
You can lick uncle lefty

<<< 1 2 3 4
[Back to Index]