Nelthilta is the last poster

Ya'll vs Y'all
Ya'll vs Y'all
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Off-topic]
Secondary: None

1 2 3 >>>
Ok. So tonight in bwl before I had to leave, a discussion was made on ya'll vs y'all. I was unable to explain more on this, due to me having to leave! Ya'll, and y'all are both accepted spellings of it. Same as pecan, pecon. And a million other words.

Ya'll

Slang contraction for the 2nd person plural pronoun, utilized amongst the indigenous populations of the southern continental United States.

Origin: Often incorrectly attributed to the contraction of "you + all," the word actually originated from the fusing of "ya + all." The kind of fella who would say ya'll for the first time would not be enunciating a clean and crisp "you" in his daily speech. "You" wasn't in his spoken vocabulary, but "ya" was. Now, try to say "ya all." It is actually not easy to do as two separate words. To say it with a normal cadence, it already almost sounds like ya'll, but with the slightest stutter. "Ya all" quite naturally slips into the familiar pronoun we all use. Ya + all = ya'll. When you look at it that way, the placement of the apostrophe after the "a" makes sense. Alternately, you + all = y'all. However, the ya + all transition more naturally illustrates the origin of "ya'll." "You all" is cumbersome, although that is usually how yall is explained to uninitiated Yankees, whose experience with "ya" is often limited. "You all" just doesn't lead the the inevitable ya'll that "Ya all" does. However, y'all is an accepted alternate spelling.

Y'all

Southern 2nd person plural pronoun. Most concise and easily distinguished. Despite the assurance of some emails that have been passing around, "y'all" is plural. Only an absolute idiot would use it as a singular pronoun.

--
YALL

----

--
Did you type that all out or copy it from somewhere?
Maxamos likes to do Yaal

hehe.

----
FrieAaron: local music's generally local for a reason

--
y'all

----
F'ed in the A.

--
F'ed in the A.
y'all

----
F'ed in the A.

Yawl

----
http://1337azn.blud5auce.youaremighty.com/

AZN blud = 1337 54uc3

--
/KillaCAMera
AZN blud = 1337 54uc3
"Origin: Often incorrectly attributed to the contraction of "you + all," the word actually originated from the fusing of "ya + all." The kind of fella who would say ya'll for the first time would not be enunciating a clean and crisp "you" in his daily speech. "You" wasn't in his spoken vocabulary, but "ya" was. Now, try to say "ya all." It is actually not easy to do as two separate words. To say it with a normal cadence, it already almost sounds like ya'll, but with the slightest stutter."

So you're telling me if a nigger wants me to spell there thurr i am supposed to? If you cannot speak english properly you cannot make words or contractions
Ya'll is accepted also because people just don't know any better.
"Ya" is not a word. If you cannot pronounce "you," that is your own problem. We cannot go around making new spellings just because people cannot pronounce their words properly.
When you pronounce "yall," you pronounce the "all," correct? You cannot pronounce "all" without the word "all" being there. Therefore, the "all" must be seperated from the "y." Y'all.
And if you were talking to or about one person, singular, why would you say "all" anyways? It doesn't make sense to only be talking to one person and say "all."
And having been born/raised and/or living in Texas doesn't mean you know how to spell words commonly used in the South. Your assumptions that I was not, in fact, from Texas amused me quite a bit.
Who listens to e-mails anyways?
Honey, sorry, but you're wrong.

/scratch

----
http://1337azn.blud5auce.youaremighty.com/

/KillaCAMera

AZN blud = 1337 54uc3

--
/KillaCAMera
AZN blud = 1337 54uc3
Keep it simple I say. Instead of a conjunction, I just use good ol' yall, a new word. Less complicated, and less debate needed
OK Doll. Just because you can't get it through your thick head that sometimes, there are different pronunciations, different spellings, etc of words, that's not my problem. Now, before you insult my spelling, my knowledge of the english language, ill just let you know this. I'm an English Major. Therefore, grammar, spellings, pronunciations, etc are part of my everyday life.

And as to some wise words from my b/f.. Who's lived in texas his entire life, If you want to claim yourself as a texan.. Don't put on airs.

--
Ya'll is accepted also because people just don't know any better.
"Ya" is not a word. If you cannot pronounce "you," that is your own problem. We cannot go around making new spellings just because people cannot pronounce their words properly.
When you pronounce "yall," you pronounce the "all," correct? You cannot pronounce "all" without the word "all" being there. Therefore, the "all" must be seperated from the "y." Y'all.
And if you were talking to or about one person, singular, why would you say "all" anyways? It doesn't make sense to only be talking to one person and say "all."
And having been born/raised and/or living in Texas doesn't mean you know how to spell words commonly used in the South. Your assumptions that I was not, in fact, from Texas amused me quite a bit.
Who listens to e-mails anyways?

Y'all be taking to seriously, yo

----

--
I love the picture Chops

--
A quick summary of this thread, for those of you who don't wanna read it all...

http://www.extremechickfights.com/

----

--

--
F'ed in the A.
A quick summary of this thread, for those of you who don't wanna read it all...

http://www.extremechickfights.com/

----

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=y%27all

----
F'ed in the A.

and http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ya%27ll

Now quit fighting, christ

----

--

----
iadklsad!

--
Now quit fighting, christ

BUT CHOPS!! I THOUGHT YOU LIKED GIRL FIGHTS?!

Okay, Sweetheart, I'm the one with the thick head? lol. You're too cute.
I understand that there are different pronunciations of things, but that is because some people do not know how to talk correctly.
Congratulations on your English Major. Apparently, that doesn't mean you know how to spell also.

And as to some wise words from /my/ boyfriend, who has also lived in Texas his entire life, "H-TOWN REPRESENT, MOTHAFUCKA!!! AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Oh, by the way, this is Spero. I'm on Ssendz's computer and forgot that his name was logged on, not mine.

1 2 3 >>>
[Back to Index]