84313 Total Posts
Nelthilta is the last poster

overclocking
overclocking
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Off-topic]
Secondary: None

I just purchased some parts for a new computer, and want to overclock the cpu. Does anybody know how I go about doing this or know where to learn how.

I got the intel core 2 duo E6300, because I read in pc mag that they overclocked it to 2.86GHz.

I'm not shooting for that much, just something maybe around 2.4GHz (factory sets at 1.86GHz)

Thanks
Tbh, I wouldn't do it.

--
"Some douche bag, pony tail wearing, hippie FUCK..." -Sip

why
if you're serious about doing this you really should have researched it before you bought the parts.

--
I have been doing a little research and from what I understand (and I may be wrong) overclocking the CPU depends on memory. And depending on how much you overclock, your risks can be essentially zero. So if I just aim for a small increase and make sure to use Prime 95 to test for stability, then I shouldn't have to many problems.

I just would like to have somebody who knows what they are doing maybe give me a little info on it as well.
Maximum PC did an article I think a month ago on exactly how to overclock. Go look at some magazine racks.

--
"Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you."
Carl Sagan, from a marker left by the Mars Pathfinder rover Sojourner.
your motherboard and your memory are the two most important components to overclocking, but you cooling makes a big difference too. overclocking my processor by 50mhz works my heatsink and fan to near maximum capacity and puts a LOT of strain on my memory. the motherboard you chose needs to be extremely stable with voltages as well, as you wouldn't want to short anything out (i've killed a few memory sticks due to volt modding). as for stability testing, prime 95 is decent, but you should always run memtest before you even try to boot, if your cmos allows it. other than that, it's just a matter of making sure you can stay stable as much as possible (i'd suggest getting several testers and not just relying on prime 95 - a number cruncher).

--
also you'll probably hit a point where you need to downclock your memory and/or change your DRAM settings to get the CPU to run stable. this is fine if you know what you're doing, but DRAM has a LOT of variables and i'm not very knowledgeable about most. most importantly though, you don't want to downgrade your memory TOO much just to get your clock speed up, because memory is the #1 component to system speed.

--
I just purchased some parts for a new computer, and want to overclock the cpu. Does anybody know how I go about doing this or know where to learn how.

I got the intel core 2 duo E6300, because I read in pc mag that they overclocked it to 2.86GHz.

I'm not shooting for that much, just something maybe around 2.4GHz (factory sets at 1.86GHz)

Thanks

Bring it to the lan, I'll help you out.

I believe http://www.overclocking.com or http://www.overclock.com are still up.

Don't sweat it man, you can easily overclock without causing troubles, as long as you do it incrementally and reasonably. Hell, one motherboard I had CAME with the CPU overclocked a few cycles (kind of a scam, because they did this to make their mobo seem "better" when they were just cheating on the stock components).

But yeah, it's pretty easy, and is usually done from the BIOS.

--
www.ocforums.com is a good site for asking questions, also find out if your mobo manufacturer has a forum.

--
Overclocking is pretty fun if u don't push ur components to far. I used to overclock AMD XPs all the times and i just built a new pc like urs only w/ the E6400 but am waiting on a few parts for my new phase-change cooler before I start overclocking.

The core 2 duos overclock pretty easily and pretty far, am guess u either picked up a Nforce 680i mobo or a p865 mobo.

2.4 ghz should be easy just push the front system bus speed slowly until u either hit 2.4 ghz or ur computer becomes unstable
Unfortunately I wont have my parts by the lan. They hopefully will ship tomorrow and then be here by wed or thurs. And I am not sure if I will be coming to the lan yet or not.

The mobo I ordered was the evga nforce 680i and the ram i ordered was corsair xms2 donimator 2gb (ddr2 800).
The Intel C2D's overclock VERY easily. Much different than most CPU's.

You can hit 2.4 ghz without an issue.

[Back to Index]